Wheat free, refined sugar free, nut free, dairy free.
This is a big batch of cookies, they freeze well, and you can eat them straight from the freezer for a crispy bite, great for the kids’ school lunchbox as they defrost by recess for a softer bite.
Carrot Cake Bites
2 cups grated carrots – 4 carrots
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup coconut flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp ground cinnamon or 2 drops doTERRA Cinnamon or Cassia
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp ground ginger or 2 drops doTERRA Ginger essential oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup honey
¾ cup pepitas
¾ cup currants
Thermomix: place roughly chopped carrots in Thermomix, 5 seconds, speed 9.
Put all ingredients in Thermomix in order, 1 minute, reverse, speed 4. Scrape sides and mix again
Blender: blend all ingredients until thoroughly combined
Place batter in the fridge for 20 minutes
Preheat oven to 170C, line baking sheet with baking paper
Dollop a tablespoon of dough onto baking sheet, bake 12 – 15 minutes, until golden, cool on wire rack.
Tips and tricks:
- If coconut oil is solid melt by placing the jar in a bowl of boiled water
- Up to ¾ cup of water can be added if the mixture is dry, this happens in the colder weather.
- Store in the freezer can be eaten frozen or defrosted
- I use a Tupperware Snack Press to press the dough into bars, then cut into bites before baking.
- You could also press the dough into a lined brownie dish, then cut into bars, then bites
- For a vegan version, you can replace the honey with pure maple syrup and the eggs with flax eggs – ½ cup flax seeds mixed with ½ cup water
- Use 1 drop of doTERRA Cinnamon or Cassia Essential oil, 1 drop of Cardamom Essential Oil in place of dried spices
- Always drip your drops of essential oils onto a spoon, not directly into the ingredients, add the essential oils to the coconut oil to disperse evenly through the batter
- I only use doTERRA Food Grade Essential Oils in my kitchen